- Leads EFA, ensure global coordination and provide assistance to Member States to achieve the EFA goals and education-related MDGs based on the Global Action Plan.
- Fosters quality education for all at all levels and in both formal and non-formal education throughout life, with particular emphasis on vulnerable and disadvantaged groups.
- Promotes research and capacity-building for the sound management of natural resources.
- Promotes policies and strengthens human and institutional capacities in science, technology and innovation, with special emphasis on the basic sciences.
- Promotes knowledge networks for disaster preparedness and mitigation and enhances national and regional coping capacities.
SOCIAL AND HUMAN SCIENCES
- Promotes principles, practices and ethical norms relevant for scientific and technological development.
- Enhances research-policy linkages relevant to social transformations.
- Contributes to the dialogue among civilizations and cultures and to a culture of peace through philosophy, the human sciences, the promotion of human rights and the fight against discrimination.
CULTURE AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Promotes cultural diversity through the safeguarding of heritage in all its dimensions and enhancement of cultural expressions.
- Promotes social cohesion by fostering pluralism, cultural dialogues and the establishment of a culture of peace.
- Fosters free, independent and pluralistic communication and universal access to information.
- Promotes innovative applications of ICTs for sustainable development.